How we think about investments
Our objective is to deliver superior net investment returns more consistently than through a single asset manager or mandate. We do this by drawing on various sources of return, while diversifying across multiple sources of risk.
We maintain a collaborative culture, so when you work with us, you have access to our collective expertise and well-informed management team. Strong alignment exists between the various business units, and together with our global network of experts, serves as the foundation of the overall business
De Wet van der Spuy
BCom (Hons), FIA, FASSA
BSc, MBA, CFA, FASSA, FIA, CIPM
Head of Product Proposition
BSc (Act Sci), MM (Finance and Investment)
Head of Portfolio Management
Head of Strategic Investments & Manager Research
BCom(Hons), CFA, FRM
BCom (Hons), CFP®
Divisional Executive –Human Capital
Our multi-managed solutions are well diversified across domestic and global asset classes with clearly defined investment objectives. Click here for a comprehensive view of our funds and solutions.
Over time, our investment philosophy has evolved considerably over multiple dimensions, while staying on track in its core direction – which is a reliance on great work to get to the best possible answers. We recognise the noise in capital markets can only be adequately addressed by ensuring that the probabilities of success can be influenced incrementally by nudging the odds ever so slightly in our favour.
There are many opportunities to do this throughout the process and leaving an opportunity unexplored may result in the undoing of a lot of the excellent work. We therefore do not focus on only doing one or two things really well and leave the rest to chance. Rather, we focus on doing everything we can really well, sometimes focusing on the basics to begin, and increasing the complexity and sophistication as we progress.
This ensures that the process is continually improving. Our motto is to leave everything we touch better than when we found it. We do this by sharing a commitment to diversification, accountability, knowledge gaining and sharing, curiosity, openness and transparency.
- We begin with a dedicated and uncompromising commitment to exploiting the highest quality data, systems, processes and people, since these are the controllable factors in an otherwise uncertain investment environment
- We recognise that asset managers with skill may exist within certain markets or specific market segments/asset classes. They have the ability to deliver returns in excess of their benchmarks or passive alternatives
- We identify these managers through a rigorous and integrated approach of quantitative and qualitative manager research
- Using advanced modeling and statistical techniques, we combine these managers with passive alternatives where appropriate, to produce superior net investment returns, with a greater consistency than single mandates, through the diversification of idiosyncratic manager risks
- Strategic (long-term) and tactical (short-term) asset allocation ensures that portfolios are appropriately designed and maintained to maximise the probability of meeting investment objectives
- Our systematic and on-going portfolio management process includes inputs from manager and market research, asset allocation and portfolio construction. This value add ensures portfolios are efficiently managed and positioned
- Portfolio risk is managed at each and every step of the process to ensure that portfolios are designed, constructed and maintained so as to maximise the chances of achieving the investment objectives within any specified constraints